Our Company | CEO/Board of Directors | Contact Us | Careers

The History of Wolverton Telephone Company

Wolverton Telephone Company (WTC) was established in 1946 by David Johnson and his two sons Millard and Darrel. At that time, WTC only provided local telephone service for Wolverton and Christine. In the 1950s, WTC started providing local service for the community of Walcott. Party lines, having at times up to 18 customers per line, were the format for early telephone service. In the early 1960s, single line dial service replaced the party lines, and local calling was added to the Fargo-Moorhead area in 1983. This provided WTC with a new customer base for future services, such as the Internet. In the early 1990s, WTC converted its system to digital switching technology and fiber optic connectivity, allowing WTC to offer advanced services. Mathew and Paul Ihland purchased WTC from the Millard Johnson family in 2001. Polar Communications, headquartered in Park River, ND, purchased WTC from Mathew and Paul Ihland and began serving customers in October 2004.

WTC provides numerous communications products to the communities of Wolverton, MN, Christine, ND and Walcott, ND and surrounding areas, including Fargo-Moorhead. Some of these services include Local and Long Distance Telephone, Dial-up and High Speed Internet Access, White & Yellow Page Advertising, Advanced Business Solutions and much more.